SHRM Learning System
- The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM)
- The Human Resource Association of Greater Detroit (HRAGD)
- The Greater Ann Arbor Society for Human Resource Management (GAASHRM)
- Human Resource Management Association of Mid-Michigan (HRMAMM)
- South Central Human Resource Management Association (SCHRMA)
- Livingston Area Human Resource Association (LAHRA)
Prepare for HR certification with the SHRM Learning System Course
If you've been planning to earn your Professional Human Resources (PHR) or Senior Professional in Human Resources (SPHR) designation, now is the time to enroll in our updated and expanded HR Certification Institute exam preparation course based on the SHRM Learning System.
We offer this program in partnership with the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). The curriculum, designed by subject matter experts, covers the HR Certification Institute Body of Knowledge and includes application exercises that develop specific competencies and decision-making skills. As a certification preparation program, it consistently beats the national pass rate.
By attending our course, you will develop new knowledge and skills that will improve your workplace effectiveness immediately. By enrolling in our classroom based format, you also get the added benefit of:
- A structured classroom environment that enhances learning and helps you stay on track.
- An experienced instructor to explain concepts and apply them to your industry.
- Opportunities to network and share real-world experiences with other HR professionals.
- Minimizing travel and maximizing employer tuition assistance.
There’s never been a better time to pursue your PHR or SPHR designation. With our blended approach, you’ll learn from printed workbooks, online tools and a dynamic classroom experience. In addition, you can earn 3.5 continuing education units (CEUs) for completing this course.
The six learning modules cover full array of HR topics
The SHRM Learning System course provides an in-depth study of key areas in human resource management. Course materials include six extensive print modules that correspond to the six functional areas, responsibilities and associated knowledge defined by the HR Certification Institute:
- Business Management and Strategy
- Includes the role of HR in organizations, the strategic planning process, assessing the internal environment, scanning the external environment, evaluating HR’s strategic contributions, ethical issues affecting organizations, and HR and the legislative and regulatory environment.
- Workforce Planning and Employment
- Covers key legislation affecting employee rights, privacy and consumer protection, EEO/Affirmative Action, gender discrimination and harassment, organizational staffing requirements, job analysis and documentation, recruitment, flexible staffing, selection and retention, organizational exit and employee records management.
- Human Resource Development
- Examines key legislation, HRD and the organization, organizational development initiatives, adult learning and motivation, training and development, talent management, developing leaders and performance management.
- Compensation and Benefits
- Includes key compensation legislation, total rewards and the strategic focus of the organization, compensation structure, compensation systems, introduction to benefit programs and key benefits legislation, government-mandated benefits, deferred compensation plans, health-care benefits, other nonstatutory benefits, compensation and benefits for international employees, and evaluating the total rewards system and communicating it to employees.
- Employee and Labor Relations
- Covers laws affecting employee and labor relations, employee relations and organizational culture, employee involvement strategies, measuring employee attitudes, policies, procedures, and work rules, discipline and complaint resolution, labor relations legislation and union organizing, unfair labor practices, collective bargaining, and strikes and secondary boycotts.
- Risk Management
- Examines organizational risk, key legislation, safety, health, security and privacy.
Course participants will also receive an SPHR Preparation Book for specialized SPHR training.
Besides being a powerful tool for PHR or SPHR certification preparation, this strategic course fosters professional advancement and builds confidence for managing HR challenges.
Features that deliver
The SHRM Learning System offers a variety of study features that reinforce concepts and help students prepare for the certification exam:
- Periodic online updates cover significant changes in legislation and new HR policies
- Comprehensive bank of test questions – more than 1,600 in all
- Practice tests formatted to mimic the current HR Certification Institute exam experience
- An interactive case study featuring real-life scenarios to text students’ ability to apply concepts learned throughout the course
- The SPHR Preparation Book, designed specifically for SPHR candidates, focuses on the strategic-thinking approach of the SPHR exam
- Access to the Online Resource Center, featuring HR updates, Webcasts, test-taking tips, related links, feedback opportunities, and eFlashcards that can be printed or downloaded to a PDA
Multimedia Preparation Includes:
- Pretest to gauge current knowledge
- Print-based reading and progress checks
- Module-specific tests for each module to check mastery of key information
- eFlashcards to review key HR terms and legislation can be printed or downloaded to a Pocket PC or Palm hand-held device
- Posttest that mirrors the HR Certification Institute testing format
Designed to advance your career
The course is designed for managers and staff in general management or human resource management positions:
- HR professionals planning to take the PHR or SPHR certification exam
- PHR professionals seeking to “upgrade” their certification to SPHR
- Certified HR professionals needing credits for PHR/SPHR recertification
- HR practitioners seeking professional development to advance their careers
- Experienced managers who are new to the HR field
- Other mid-level managers pursuing a career change or promotion
- Individuals needing recertification credits
Don’t miss our upcoming session. Take our course, earn your certification and be ready for career advancement.
The SHRM Advantage
The Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) is the world’s largest association devoted to human resource management. The Society serves the needs of HR professionals and advances the interests of the HR profession. Founded in 1948, SHRM has more than 225,000 members in over 125 countries, and more than 575 affiliated chapters. Visit www.shrm.org.
All facilitators are SPHR certified and experienced professionals in HR.
- Fraya Wagner-Marsh, Ph.D., SPHR, GPHR; EMU College of Business
- Karen Andrews, SPHR; McKinley, Inc.
- Ann Davis, SPHR; Human Resource Consultant
- Tom Gannon, SPHR; United Bank & Trust
- Deanna S. Hatmaker, SPHR; Asset Acceptance Capital Corporation
- Dan Jacey, SPHR, HR Professional, SERPEO
- Toni Knechtges, SPHR; EMU College of Business
- Douglass V. Koch, SPHR, Lawrence Technological University
- Jim Lewis, SPHR; GPHR, NSF International
- Marlo McCutcheon, SPHR; Bee Tree Consulting, Ltd.
- Shawn Premer, SPHR, Vice President of HR, Consumers Credit Union
- Robert Salter, SPHR; Henry Ford Health System
- Donna Schiele, SPHR; Vice President, Citizens Republic Bancorp
- Jeff Tomschin, SPHR, GPHR, CBP, CCP; Vice President, Human Resources,
Phillips Service Industries, Inc.